Wednesday, May 1, 2024

West Des Moines

1908 draught house

Elysian Park is the city's oldest public park and, at 575-acres, the second largest after Griffith Park. It is home to numerous historic sites, including the Los Angeles Police Academy and Barlow Hospital, that are linked by miles of walking trails. The Douglas Building was one of Los Angeles’ greatest office building and commanded the highest rentals. In its early years, it housed the chief ticket office of the Southern Pacific Railroad. During that time many travelers passed through its doors to purchase a ticket. In 1902, the Los Angeles Railway (LARy) streetcars operating in downtown Los Angeles were painted a distinctive yellow color.

People in Johnston Also Viewed

Thirteen men were "entombed" in the tunnel dig after a massive cave-in on the western end. Several were killed in the collapse, but others were trapped inside with only the air in the tunnel. In 1898 the City Council ordered the City Attorney to draw up an ordinance putting tunnel bonds in front of the public via a special election.

Cooking Kudzu: The Invasive Species Is on the Menu in the South

It was one of Venice's original buildings and stood until 1964 when it was demolished. Between 1897 and 1906 the power house was in use as Edison Electric Company Steam Plant No. 1. This was Edison's first power plant located in the City of Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Gas and Electric Corporation (LAGC) was one of the first utilities in Los Angeles. It competed with Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light (BP&L) and SCE in the early 1900s. In 1936, BP&L (later LADWP) would buy out the electrical side of LAGC to become the sole provider of electricity in Los Angeles.

Category:1890s architecture in Los Angeles

One began at the base of the now-abandoned Avalon Amphitheater and ascended the hill on the southwestern side of Avalon Bay to a point known as Buena Vista Point. The other descended the opposite side of the hill to Pebbly Beach on Lovers Cove. Passengers could disembark at the summit for refreshments in a small tea house or continue on to Lovers Cove for a ride in a glass-bottomed boat. When chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. bought the controlling stake in Catalina Island, he used the cleared spot (originally meant for Hotel St. Catherine) to build a dance hall. The entire row of buildings on the left, including the Vista Theatre, was demolished and later became the location of Windward Plaza Park. The St. Marks Hotel on the right would be demolished one year after the above photo was taken.

Restaurant inspection update: Gnats in whiskey, ham in a bucket and suspicious 'poultry activity' • Iowa Capital Dispatch - Iowa Capital Dispatch

Restaurant inspection update: Gnats in whiskey, ham in a bucket and suspicious 'poultry activity' • Iowa Capital Dispatch.

Posted: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 07:00:00 GMT [source]

Passengers were transported by the Pacific Electric Red Trolley Cars to this small community of canals. La Fiesta de Los Angeles which began on April 10, 1894, was a four day festival that the city threw in its own honor celebrating its many different cultures. The event featured parades, floats, many flowers, athletic competitions, a costume ball, and carnival attended by masked revelers.

Chicken Sandwiches

1908 draught house

Today the Fletcher Viaduct's concrete footings and pylons are still there and have been designated as LA Historic-Cultural Monument No. 770 (Click HERE to see complete listing). When Angels Flight - "the shortest railroad in the world" - first opened in 1901, there was only a small shelter at the top; in 1910, a larger and permanent depot was built. The Hollywood area was still very rural in the turn of the century with the first substantial residences built around farmland.

Prior to this, this piece of land south of the lake was a muddy lot and a nuisance to the neighbors. The land was filled in and a 4-acre playground was built upon the fill. The fortunes made during development of the Los Angeles Oil field led directly to the discovery and exploitation of other fields in the Los Angeles Basin. Of the 1,250 wells once drilled on the field, and the forest of derricks that once covered the low hills north of Los Angeles from Elysian Park west, little above-ground trace remains today.

Click HERE to see the Examiner's 2nd buidling located at 1111 South Broadway. Early buildings commissioned to house the Los Angeles High School were among the architectural jewels of the city, and were strategically placed at the summit of a hill, the easier to be pointed to with pride. One of the school's long standing mottos is "Always a hill, always a tower, always a timepiece." The original playground plans called for a gymnasium, a club house, and a residence for the director. The club house also contained a meeting space with a raised platform. The Echo Park Playground opened in 1907 between Bellevue Avenue and Temple Street, and was only the second public playground to be built in the city of Los Angeles.

The Shrimp on Your Table Has a Dark History

The club's first location was in the second-floor rooms over the Tally-Ho Stables on the northwest corner of First and Fort (Broadway) streets, where the Los Angeles County Law Library now stands. It moved to the Wilcox Building on the southeast corner of Second and Spring streets in 1895, occupying the two top floors, the fourth and fifth. The building was distinguished as the first in Los Angeles to have two elevators — one for the public and the other for members. The men's dining room, reading room, bar and lounge were on the top floor. The club remained at the Wilcox Building for ten years, Increased membership impelled the club to seek a new location in the southward and westward direction of the expansion of the city.

The gas side of LAGC would then become Southern Californa Gas Company. Tropico was put on the map as a fertile agricultural spot in the late 1800s. Shortly thereafter, the town began distancing itself from the rest of Glendale.

1908 draught house

Edendale was the valley along Glendale Boulevard that traverses from Echo Park to the beginning of the 2 Freeway. Today the area is considered Silverlake on the west side and Elysian Park to the east. The grass median that runs along Glendale Boulevard used to be the Red Line Train that ran from downtown and would eventually be extended to Glendale along the hills behind the Red Lion Tavern. The wide avenue in the background pointing almost straight at us is Aliso Street, which today is the alignment of the 101 freeway east of the Civic Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Online T-shirt Designer: Make Your Own T-shirt Design

Table Of Content Start designing Promo Products Worthy Of Your Logo T Shirt Maker Start Selling Your Own Shirts No Artwork? No Problem: More...